Post Office: Newbury 05041
Town Population: 1955
Town Clerk: Susan Underwood, 802-866-5521
Town WEB Site: http://www.newburyvt.org/
School: Newbury Elementary School 802-866-5621
Library: Tenney Memorial Library 802-866-5366 www.tenneymemoriallibrary.org
The Town of Newbury, Vermont occupies the northwestern corner of our region and is comprised of 3 distinct villages, each of which has its own governing body for strictly local issues. There are also 3 post offices.
This area is blessed with extremely fertile farmland and is still populated with productive farms. The Town of Newbury overlooks the Connecticut River from an elevation of approximately 600 feet and provides stunning panoramic views to the east of the White Mountains. The town was the terminus of the Bayley Hazen Military Road.
Post Office: Newbury 05051
Village Population: 430 (2009)
Village Clerk: Liz Drugach (802)-866-5395
Village Office: Historic Bailey Club Building, 5209 Main Street South, Newbury, VT
Village Mailing Address: PO Box 6, Newbury, VT 05051
Village Statistics: city-data.com
Wikipedia Entry: Newbury, VT
Newbury Village is located on the Great Oxbow of the Connecticut River in Vermont between the Town of Bradford and the Village of Wells River. Just north of Newbury Village is the Oxbow Historic District. The Oxbow Historic District is an excellent example of a small agricultural settlement containing well-preserved examples of Georgian, Federal, and Greek Revival style residences complemented by numerous barns and agricultural outbuildings. It is the site of the earliest settlement in Newbury.
There is a bridge that spans the Connecticut River to New Hampshire in Newbury.
Post Office: Wells River 05081
Village Population: 340
Village Statistics: city-data.com
Wikipedia Entry: Wells River, VT
Post Office: West Newbury 05085
Village Population: 188
Newbury was originally granted to Jacob Bayley who named the town Newbury, after his erstwhile home in Newbury, Massachusetts. The Village presents a magnificent display of flowering crab apple trees in the Spring.
On the right look for a small brick building bearing the legend Horace W. Bailey Club. Built in 1839 as a schoolhouse, it later became a millinery shop until, in 1904, it was bought by Horace Bailey to house his private library. After Mr. Bailey’s death the building had a number of uses before being acquired by the town in 1969. In 1973, a tornado blew in the front wall causing much damage. Now restored, the building is used for meetings by many town groups.
Continue north on US Route 5 until, on the left, you will arrive at the town common. One of the largest commons in Vermont, this is the center of Newbury village and site of the elementary school, town hall and the old Methodist Church. Halfway along the common, just back from the road and partially concealed by trees, is a large granite marker. Just beyond that, at the next intersection is a green historic marker. Both markers tell of Jacob Bayley, founder of Newbury.
This church was built in 1829 and, in 1833, a seminary was added. Six years later a group of Boston Methodist circuit ministers chose the site for the Biblical Institute that later became Boston University.
Just North of the common, on the right, stands the Congregational Church. The church was organized in 1764 with a congregation from Newbury, Vermont and Haverhill, New Hampshire, across the river, making this the second oldest church in Vermont. The present building was erected in 1856.
Across the road from the church stands the library , which was built in 1897. Of special historic interest is that preceding the current building on the same site was the Spring Hotel. It was here that people came by train to spend the summer to enjoy the ‘waters’. The sulphur-laden water was bottled in Wells River and shipped worldwide.
Continue north on Rte 5 for approximately 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) and take the first left turn over the bridge on to Oxbow Road. Approximately .4 mile (.6 kilometers), at the bottom of the hill on this dirt road, look on the right for the house of the local DAR Chapter.. The house stands on the site where the first meeting of the Vermont State Legislature took place. The present building was originally the District #3 rural school. Look for the millstone and bronze plaque in front of the building. Bear right and continue on Oxbow Road to return to Rte 5.
All tour information provided by Larry Coffin. Check out his In Times Past blog.